Friday, June 26, 2009

To Facebook or not to Facebook - That is the question

Ok. . .I took the plunge. I signed up for Facebook. I have been completely anti for quite some time, but now it is almost more annoying that so many people ask me why I'm not on Facebook. So, I decided to set up an account. Now I no longer have to answer that question. I'm still on the fence on how active of a participant I will become. No offense to the world, but I don't care if you're stuck in traffic right now or you feel fat today or whatever it is that you randomly post on there. (And don't get me started on Twitter because I really can't stand that technology.) I also think it is a false way of connecting with people. Sure there will be a few friends that you really lost contact with and this provides you an opportunity to reconnect. But lets be honest, there is a reason you did not stay in contact with a vast majority of these people. So, why are you now inclined to read their info? If you were really a friend, you would have stayed in touch.

I feel like an old lady saying these things; and if I were my boss I'd probably fire me for not being on top of our competition, but I know what they are up to from an advertising standpoint, I don't feel I need to be a participant.

So reluctantly. . .I am now on Facebook.

2 comments:

Jamie and Family said...

That's funny. And so like the comments I've heard from many of my friends.....until they started. I joined and did not post a thing for like 6-8 months. Thought it was retarded. Now, I find it a fun way to fill time - whether I have it or not. It's sort of a voyeristic indulgence. Like you said, MOST people I did not keep in touch with because there was no real need, but it is still interesting to "peek" in to their lives. Some people FB too much, others not enough. I have the strangest mix of friends....childhood, college, youth in my ward, moms from in town, I get updates on my girls swim team and updates on long lost friends....it is interesting.

And I will not eat my words on this: Like you, I do not get, or want to get, twitter. It sounds retarded and annoying.

Yes, it makes us sound old!

I guess we DO need to hang out since my comments are SO long on your blog!!!!

Jamie and Family said...

Oh, and my personal preference....I do not like to get ANYTHING sent to my email inbox (status updates, etc). I only check those when I get on FB. Don't like to clutter up my inbox more than it is.