Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Weekend Away


This past weekend I was in Palm Springs for 24hrs with a few of my girlfriends. It was my friend Susie's bachelorette party. Susie introduced Derek and I so she holds a special place in our heart. She is marrying a fantastic guy at the end of July and we couldn't be happier for her.

I had so many mixed feelings going into the weekend.
1. How can I leave her?
2. Will Derek be able to handle it?
3. I can't wait to have some time on my own.
4. I will be able to sleep through the night.

The list goes on and on. So the weekend went like this.

I got Maren up, dressed, fed and packed for a day trip to Folsom for her cousin Jason's 1st birthday. Dad and Maren were out the door at 10:00. I quickly dressed, packed and then had a bit of quality time with Griffin up in the hills before heading to the airport. (That was a serious reminder that I am completely out of shape. I was in better shape at 7 months pregnant than I am now.) As soon as I arrived at the airport, the tears began streaming down my face. I pulled it together upon arrival to Palm Springs.

That night, we had an awesome dinner at a great hotel and then some traditional bachelorette entertainment post dinner, lets just say I spent the remainder of the evening locked in a bathroom with a few friends frightened by what was taking place in the other room. At 1:30 things were beginning to settle down and I laid my head on the pillow for what I thought would be a fabulous night of sleep, nevermind the fact I was on a air mattress with a friend. Unfortunately, my lovely night of sleep didn't go as planned. I was up at 3:30 ready to hear a little cry and heat a bottle and again at 6:45. It was like clock work. I forced myself to stay in bed until 7:45 and then finally got up. After breakfast and chit chatting about the night, we each headed our own way home; and once again I found myself sitting in the airport crying. This time, I was a wreck. I spoke with Derek and he didn't think he was going to make it home before I got there. (He was attending another cousin's 1 yr b-day on Sunday). It made me so sad to think they wouldn't be there when I got home. All I wanted to do was hold Maren. So, I called Derek back in tears and asked him to hop in the car right then so they would make it. And thankfully when I drove up to the house, the car was in the garage and I couldn't have been happier.

While it was great to be with girlfriends, it was incredibly difficult to be away. However, I was thrilled about the fact that Derek and Maren had a great weekend together and she hardly missed mommy.

2 comments:

Jamie and Family said...

Awwwww. That reminds me of when I went to Hawaii with friends when Jordyn was only months old. I cried and cried in the airport. I felt so bad.

Then fast forward to your wedding when Peyton was only 6 months old. You and Derek thought it was cool that we could still "live our lives" and get away once in a while from our kids. That trip? No tears. But remember....that was my THIRD child! ha ha ha, it will get easier.

A mama has a natural need and urge to care for her baby. Your trip was probably another one of those reminders that your life has changed! I want to know exactly what was going on in the other room, by the way! :-)

Unknown said...

I know it is hard to leave those babies for the first time. Ryan literally had to MAKE me leave Savannah.

But- remember it is always good to have your own time. To be a good mom and wife you need to pamper yourself- and I couldn't agree with Jamie more that it gets easier. Now with a 4th on the way our biggest concern is who the heck will watch all four when we want to get away:)