Monday, June 1, 2009

Good Bye May

Ok. . .May went by just as quickly as April, but thankfully with a bit less emotion.

It started out with first Mother's Day. It was a really strange feeling to think of myself as a mother on that day. I think at times I have a hard time associating myself with the concept of mom, but with each day I feel more and more like a mom. We had our mother's over and Derek made breakfast for all of us. Jody and Derek's sister Kerri and the girls were with us too. It was a really nice day. And Derek and Maren got me a beautiful necklace to help me remember the day forever.

The night before Mother's Day, my mom watched Maren and Derek and I had a little date night. We went to a great restaurant in Oakland. Our reservation was at 8:15 and as much as I enjoyed being out alone with Derek, all I could think about was going home and getting in bed. It was really sad. Hopefully I'll have a bit more energy for our next date night.

Next. . .our house was under construction for 2.5 weeks. That was a total disaster. Maren, Griffin and I all had to be out of the house. I think Griffin had the hardest time with it. Towards the end, I just couldn't take leaving the house anymore, so we would hang around the house as long as we could before it got too loud. But, with every noise that was made, Griffin would go around barking at the floor (work was being done on our foundation). Thankfully Derek's mom, Kathi let us all come over and hang out at her house. The one down fall to this was I was without internet the entire time. The great part about it was Maren and both had great naps each day while we were there. We did have one little adventure to Stockton to visit a great friend from college, Ann, and her daughter Carly. While we were there we went to story time at the library and Maren loved watching all the kids and listening to the stories. We had a great time in Stockton! But, lets hope we don't have to go through anymore construction. It ended as all construction projects end. . .taking twice as long and costing twice as much as originally quoted.

In the middle of all of this, we had our second wedding anniversary, May 19th. It was on a Tuesday. Kerri watched Maren for us and we headed out to dinner at a local restaurant we hadn't previously tried. Apparently they are known for their duck, so Derek had the duck. I can't say I'm a fan of duck, so I passed on it and had quail. The meal was fantastic. The wine was amazing; and we had a really nice time together. Thankfully we both made it through dinner without yawning. :) We were actually the last ones to leave the restaurant. It was on this day that I was finally able to give Derek the professional photos I had taken of Maren and I. We shot them a month prior and it was killing me not to show them to him. They turned out so well. If you haven't seen them, take a look here.
  1. Go to: www.collages.net
  2. under guest dialogue box put:
    • username: Maren
    • password: 5109
And then we move on to the great nanny hunt. Wow. . .what a wild process. We started out thinking we were going to get a nanny to watch Maren on her own. After a bit of research and one interview, we quickly realized it was going to cost as much as our mortgage to do that. So, then I started looking into nanny shares and it turned out a mom in my yoga class was doing the same thing. We connected and everything started to fall into place from there. We received great recommendations from friends and neighbors on nannies and started the joint interviewing process. I felt like I was back at work going through all of it. And after a few emotional break downs and some great advice from my dear friend Jamie, we finally settled on things on Friday. I'm really happy with our decision; and I'm thrilled to have it out of the way.

Now. . .I can sit back and enjoy a lazy June with hopefully a lot less activity and more simple mommy and Maren time. Because this is our last month before I'm back to work.

And I know it's lame I haven't posted pictures. I've got a ton of them, I just need to download them and I've been lazy about that. I promise to get on it soon.

2 comments:

Jamie and Family said...

I love reading your updates. You do a good job at summing up the month with the good and not-so-good parts!

I liked what you said about Mother's Day. It really is so strange to feel the evolution of yourself into a mother....because it really feels NOTHING like what you saw your own mom as. And it really continues to bring your own mom onto a personal level you never knew before.

Glad you could have some date nights! I'm afraid all too often my date nights are filled with yawns! ha ha

So happy you have come to a conclusion on a nanny. And so glad we could chat about it. You really know how to follow your gut instinct and that will come to your advantage as a mother above all else.

Love ya!!

Unknown said...

I love the pictures! She is so darn cute- we need more pictures of her:)