Sunday, November 2, 2008

Happy Birthday Grandma Roark

This is grandmother's weekend for me in the blog world. Today is my Grandma Roark's 76th birthday. Unfortunately we were not able to make it down to Corcoran to celebrate the day with her, but I wanted to acknowledge it nonetheless.

Over the past ten years, I think I've grown closer to my grandma than I was as a child. On my dad's side of the family, I was the only girl. So, the majority of things we did with that family was centered around the boys. I was able to get in and hang with the best of them, but I leaned towards wanting to hang out with my girl cousins on the other side of the family a bit more.

I've really enjoyed getting to know my grandma more as an adult and better understanding her personality and the person that she is overall. She is the matriarch of our family. She is the pillar that has held everyone up during hard times. She is very caring and would do anything for her family. Derek always comments that he finds it odd my dad still calls her mama, but it is her love for him that keeps him calling her that.

Since I'm not there to take photos of this years party, I thought I'd throw up a few from her 75th last year. Happy Birthday Grandma!

My dad, Grandma, Aunt Lisa and Uncle Jimmy


Grandma and her long time friend Clemme

1 comment:

Jamie and Family said...

I like this post. These are the kind of posts that will be incredibley priceless someday. When she's gone and the memories fade a little bit.